|Course Title||IT in Education Pedagogical Series: Using Computerized Telescope to Facilitate Learning and Teaching of ‘Astronomy and Space Science’ in New Senior Secondary Physics (April to May 2009)|
|Organising Division||Education Infrastructure Division|
|First Issue Date and Time||2009/03/10 15:04|
|Latest Issue Date and Time||2009/05/08 15:07|
Physics Teachers and Technical Support Staff (TSS)/ Computer Technicians from all Secondary Schools (Each teacher participant can be accompanied by a TSS/Computer Technician)
|Objective(s)||The course aims to familiarize participants with various types of computesized telescope, software and observation skill in order to facilitate learning and teaching of the elective topic 'Astronomy and Space Science' in the New Secondary School (NSS) Physics. At the end of the course, participants should be able to: - Understand how practical astronomical activities can facilitate the learning and teaching of the elective topic 'Astronomy and Space Science' in the NSS Physics; - Use planetarium software to enhance their teaching; - Operate computerised telescopes; and - Control computerised telescopes with planetarium software.|
|Programme Description||Session 1: Introduction to Telescopes and Computerized Telescopes (3 hours) - Brief revision of the elective topic 'Astronomy and Space Science' in the NSS Physics; - Introduction to telescopes and computerized telescopes; - Use of Planetarium Software; - Demonstration and hands-on practice of operating a computerized telescope; and - Demonstration and hands-on practice of Solar Observation. Session 2: Outdoor Learning Activity (1) (3 hours) - Hands-on practice of using computerized telescopes; - Guided tour of night sky using a computerized telescope; - Demonstration of using planetarium software to control a telescope; - Demonstration of basic astrophotography; and - Digital planetarium Session 3: Outdoor Learning Activity (2) (3 hours) - Hands-on practice of controlling a telescope; - Guided tour of night sky using planetarium software; - Demonstration and practice of astrophotography (Note: Participants are welcomed to bring along their own cameras for hands-on practice); and - Visiting the observatory equipped with a 0.5 meter diameter telescope at Ho Koon Nature Education cum Astronomical Centre.|
|Language Medium||Cantonese Supplemented with English|
|CPD Elements for Teacher||
|Content Area||Information Technology in Education (V)|
|Attendance required for successful completion||100 % Training & development data will be revealed in Teacher's Personal Profile in e-Services Portal upon successful completion.|
1. Each teacher is entitled to bring at most one TSS/Computer Technician to attend the course. As the TSS/Computer Technician cannot apply the course by himself/herself, the teacher applicant should indicate whether he/she would bring a TSS/Computer Technician along to the course when making online application. The name of the TSS/Computer Technician should be provided in the online form in advance if he/she plans to attend the course with the TSS/Computer Technician in pair.
2. Heads of schools are requested to submit the online application to the Information Technology in Education Section on or before the closing date of nomination. Nominations will be processed on a first-come-first-served basis whereas considerations will also be given to allow more schools to participate. Prior application is required and walk-ins will not be entertained.
3. Please note that the said training course is funded by public money and events will be conducted as scheduled when the enrollment reaches 15 per event. To ensure proper use and no wastage of public money, teachers accepted should attend the course on time. If he/she is unable to attend the course before its commencement, head of the school should arrange another teacher to substitute in order to prevent wastage of public money. The substitute teacher should attend the course with the Substitution Note shown in Appendix I. Head of school is required to fill in a Notice of Absence shown in Appendix II for every absentee to provide the reason(s) for absence and failing to make substitution on time. Completed Substitution Notes and Notices of Absence should be faxed to 'Ho Koon Nature Education cum Astronomical Centre' (2493 6612) for necessary action.
4. Accepted or rejected applicants and the respective school heads will be notified through the e-Service Portal Account at least 7 days before respective event commencement. Successful applicants attending the course should bring along their notification letters for the course and are advised to use public transport. No parking spaces are available at the venue..
5. In the event of adverse weather conditions (e.g. tropical cyclone or rainstorm), concerned training sessions (A.M. or P.M.) scheduled, as per class arrangements of Ho Koon Nature Education cum Astronomical Centre , will be cancelled pending further notice from the training institute on the make-up arrangement. Details of class arrangements during tropical cyclone/rainstorm are available at the following website: http://iclassroom.hkedcity.net/teacher/rtc0809-telescope.
6. Being late or early leave for more than 30 minutes without prior consent will not be counted as achieving 100% attendance.
7. Details of IT in Education Professional Development Programmes for teachers can be accessed at the IT in Education Section's website: http://www.edb.gov.hk/index.aspx?nodeid=5815&langno=1.
|Certificate to be Awarded||
|Related Web Site||Transportation and map of Ho Koon Nature Education cum Astronomical Centre|