|Course Title||IT in Education e-Learning Series: Use of Geographic Information System (GIS) to Enhance the Quality and Effectiveness of Learning and Teaching in Geography|
|Organising Division||Education Infrastructure Division|
|First Issue Date and Time||2012/05/02 14:26|
|Latest Issue Date and Time||2012/08/17 08:47|
|Participant Group||All secondary school Geography teachers|
This course aims to:
● introduce to teachers some quick start teaching packages for the learning and teaching of Geography with GIS;
● equip teachers with practical experiences of using GIS freeware and advanced mobile devices such as iPads in field activities;
● introduce concepts and techniques on how to build layered GIS model; and
● develop the pedagogy in the use of mobile devices such as iPads so as to enhance the effectiveness and quality in the learning and teaching of Geography.
Session 1 (6 hours) – Application of GPS in the field and using GIS freeware in the teaching of Geography:
• Brief introduction to some common GIS freeware (including computer softwares and Apps of mobile devices);
• Demonstration on the application of GPS in out-of-classroom activities (nearby the training centre);
• Hands-on practice on the use of GPS in outdoor setting and collect meaningful data;
• Detailed introduction to the use of GIS freeware e.g. Google Earth; and
• Demonstration and hands-on practice on the functions of these software by using topics related to the Geography curriculum.
Session 2 & 3 (Total 6 hours) – Case Studies and Teaching Packages of GIS for field trip:
• Introduction to case studies for quick start of learning and teaching in Geography with GIS;
• Simple data modelling and presentation of the data collected from field activities;
• Using a complete set of templates and teaching package for GIS project work; and
• Hands-on practice on technical skills in preparing field activities (including hardware and software).
Session 4 (6 hours) – Applying IT (GPS hardware and free GIS software) for group work in the field trip to a place of interest such as Tai O:
• Planning for field activity and group work;
• Using GPS device (e.g. iPad) to collect data (e.g. text and photo) in the field trip according to the pre-defined GIS data model; and
• Building GIS model for knowledge building from group work and consolidation of collected data for class presentation by using the teaching package.
|Language Medium||Cantonese Supplemented with English|
|CPD Elements for Teacher||
|Content Area||Subject Knowledge & Pedagogy/Learning & Teaching (V)|
|Attendance required for successful completion||100 % Training & development data will be revealed in Teacher's Personal Profile in e-Services Portal upon successful completion.|
1. In session 4 of each event, a place of interest such as Tai O will be selected for conducting the field trip. Free transportation will be provided by the service provider for all teacher participants to & from a MTR Station and the field study venue. (e.g. Tung Chung MTR Station to Tai O)
2. In order to let teachers have correct expectation to the IT professional development courses they will apply for, EDB has developed a web-based system for teachers to self-assess and understand their proficiency in using IT for the learning and teaching of a particular dimension / learning area. Teachers are cordially invited to visit the following link and try some questions related to this training course before they submit their applications.
(Name: GIS; Password: GIS)
3. Heads of schools are requested to submit the online application to the Information Technology in Education Section on or before the closing date of nomination. Nominations will be processed on a first-come-first-served basis whereas considerations will also be given to allow more schools to participate. Prior application is required and walk-ins will not be entertained.
4. For detailed remarks of the course please click here.
|Certificate to be Awarded||