|Course Title||STEM Education Learning, Teaching and Assessment Series: Mathematical Modelling (Refreshed)|
|Organising Division||Curriculum Development Institute|
|First Issue Date and Time||2019/09/18 17:16|
|Latest Issue Date and Time||2019/09/18 17:16|
Finance Type: ALL
Participant: TEACHERS, TEACHING ASSISTANTS AND ASSISTANT TEACHERS
To support the implementation of STEM education in schools, a series of STEM related professional development programmes is being organised for teachers. Major components of the professional development programmes to be provided are: (A) Learning, Teaching and Assessment; (B) Enriching Knowledge; and (C) Curriculum Planning. This course belongs to the component of 'Learning, Teaching and Assessment'.
Mathematical modelling is an important concept in the application of mathematics to simulate real-life scenarios, understand constraints, and suggest quantitative solution to authentic problems. The quantitative methods used in mathematical modelling are usually powerful tools, in particular, in STEM-related researches and projects. For this reason, the Mathematics Education Section organises this seminar to introduce the concepts of mathematical modelling so as to develop among students a solid foundation in applying mathematical knowledge and making connections between mathematics and real-life and STEM-related scenarios.
|Objective(s)||To enhance participants’ understanding in mathematical modelling, and the use of which in promoting STEM Education.|
(1) To introduce the concepts of mathematical modelling, and its connection with secondary Mathematics curriculum and STEM Education;
(2) To share the examples in the learning and teaching strategies of topics to include concepts of mathematical modelling in the Mathematics curriculum at both junior and senior secondary levels;
(3) To share the school experience in learning and teaching activities in mathematical modelling; and
(4) To introduce the resources for facilitating the learning and teaching of mathematical modelling.
|Language Medium||Cantonese Supplemented with English|
|CPD Elements for Teacher||
|Content Area||Subject Knowledge & Pedagogy/Learning & Teaching (V)|
|Attendance required for successful completion||100 % Training & development data will be revealed in Teacher's Personal Profile in e-Services Portal (for e-Services Teacher account holders only) upon successful completion.|
1. This course is under STEM Education Learning, Teaching and Assessment Series.
2. Teachers will not be counted as achieving 100% attendance due to lateness or early leave for more than 30 minutes and without prior consent.
3. Acceptance or rejection will be notified through the e-Services Portal account.
4. In case of over-subscription, priority will be given to teachers who ranked first in the nominations from their schools.
5. Special Arrangements for Bad Weather
a. Course / Activity for morning session will be cancelled when Tropical Cyclone Warning Signal No.8 or above is hoisted or Black Rainstorm Warning Signal is issued at or after 6:30 am.
b. Course / Activity for afternoon session will be resumed when Tropical Cyclone Warning Signal No.8 or above or Black Rainstorm Warning Signal is cancelled at or before 11:30 am. Otherwise, course / activity for afternoon session will continue to be cancelled.
c. Participants will be notified of further arrangement in due course.
6. Car Park Arrangement
No car parks will be provided at venue.